3 family members including pregnant wife, have died after eating poisoned dinner.
The lifeless bodies of a tricycle rider, Orji Igwenta, 35, his pregnant wife, Nkem, 35, and a young relative brother, Obinna Ogbani, 10, were found in their one-room apartment at Bayelsa State, Nigeria, after taking dinner on Friday.
The deceased, suspected to have taken poisonous food, went to bed and did not wake up the following day.
According to reports, the neighbours of the family had to force their apartment when they did not hear from them on Saturday, September 22, 2018.
A neighbour said:
“They slept on Friday and did not wake up. The man used to drive a commercial tricycle and he woke up daily before 5 am. So, we were surprised that his tricycle was still parked outside in the afternoon.
“We knocked on their door and got no feedback. So, we forced the door open and had to rush to the police station to report what we saw. The police took the landlord for questioning and they have been investigating the incident,”
Though it could not be ascertained how the poisoning occurred, it was gathered that a dead rat was also found in the room, fuelling speculations that the victims might have died of food poisoning.
The remains of the deceased were evacuated by the Police and deposited at the morgue of the Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa, for an autopsy.