The U.S Department of State, yesterday, opened entry for the 2020 US Visa Lottery programme. The US Visa Lottery, at it’s popularly known, has over the years allowed millions of immigrants across the world entry into the United States.
Each year, over 55,000 persons from “underrepresented countries” who meet the basic eligibility requirements are issued with Permanent Resident cards in the US.
In a statement on Facebook, the US Embassy to Ghana said:
“The #DV2020 Diversity Visa program is open for entry from October 3 – November 6. The ONLY way to enter is through dvlottery.state.gov. Avoid being disqualified and only submit ONE entry per person. Keep your unique confirmation number so later you can check the status of the entry. There is NO fee to enter the lottery. Beware of scams saying otherwise!”
The Diversity Immigrant Visa program, also known as the green card lottery, is a United States government lottery program for receiving a United States Permanent Resident Card.
How to register for 2020 US Visa Lottery
In order to qualify for the green card lottery, there are laid down processes one has to follow.
These are the following information you have to provide in order to complete your entry:
1. Name – last/family name, first name, middle name – exactly as it appears on your passport. If you have only one name, it must be entered in the last/family name field.
2. Gender – male or female.
3. Birthdate – day, month, year.
4. City where you were born.
5. Country where you were born – Use the name of the country currently used for the place where you were born.
6. Country of eligibility for the DV program – Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth.
7. Entrant photograph(s) – Recent photographs (taken within the last six months) of yourself, your spouse, and all your children.
8. Mailing Address – In Care Of Address Line 1 Address Line 2 City/Town District/Country/Province/State Postal Code/Zip Code.
9. Country where you currently live.
10. Phone number (optional).
11. Email address – An email address to which you have direct access, and will continue to have direct access, after we notify selectees in May of next year.
12. Highest level of education you have achieved, as of today.
13. Current marital status: (1) Unmarried, (2) married and my spouse is NOT a U.S. citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), (3) married and my spouse IS a U.S. citizen or U.S. LPR, (4) divorced, (5) widowed, or (6) legally separated.
14. Number of children – List the name, date of birth, gender, city/town of birth, and country of birth for all living unmarried children under 21 years of age
Submit your Electronic Diversity Visa Entry Form (E-DV Entry Form or DS-5501), online at dvlottery.state.gov
The entry submission period for the 2020 US Visa Lottery (DV-2020) is from 12:00PM EDT (GMT -4) on October 3, 2018 to 12:00PM EST (GMT -5) on November 6, 2018.
Entrants of the 2017 and 2018 DV Lottery can check their entry status on the same portal.